Wow I found this in my drafts on here and for some reason I never posted it. These pictures were from August 2014. The kids were such babies, Josiah was 5, Elaina 3 and Emmett was 1.
I can't believe that I haven't posted about this past football season yet. I guess I just took a fall break from blogging.
I got Josiah and Elaina shirts made this year and Emmett was able to wear Josiah's from our 1st year here. Elaina's was a little challenging, because she was determined that she need a purple shirt. Well not only is Fayetteville also Bulldogs but they are purple. So there was no way that we could get a purple bulldog shirt. I went ahead and got her a pink one and she LOVED it. The only problem was that daddy didn't have one too.
The kids loved the games. I still wasn't brave enough to try a whole game, so we got there just before half time. Elaina got to see the marching band preform so she was happy. Emmett usually napped during the 4th quarter, but would wake up to run around with daddy on the field after the game. Josiah was analyzing plays and asking me if I knew what that infraction (yes he used the word infraction) was for. More times than not if I told him that I didn't know he would tell me what it was for, and he would be right. If he didn't know he would listen to the announcer and know the next time it occurred.
We didn't have a successful seasons as far as wins and losses go, but in my kids eyes it was the best ever. The excitement when they saw their daddy on the side line made all the struggles of getting to the game worth it. For some reason our conference starts at 7:30 so keeping Emmett awake until we could leave was a challenge itself and then Josiah was so excited that he could sit still. I also loved see the kids point out the players that they knew. They would get so excited when they recognized one. This year Josiah would actually talk to them, but Elaina would hide and smile.
The best part was seeing them eagerly waiting at the rail at the end of the game for Trey to come over and get them. After the first game, Emmett made it clear that he was suppose to go over the rail to daddy and not walk around with me. So after that he was handed to Trey and then I climbed over and jumped on the field too. After the post game huddle, the kids would get to run and play ball with daddy; their absolute favorite part.
I did have to face the ugly side of being a coach's wife. For the first time since at SAU, I had to deal with people bashing the coaches right in front of me. When it happened before, I just laughed it off and honestly couldn't believe that somebody would have the nerve to tell the Offensive Coordinator's wife that the program needed to make offensive changes. That time I was thinking are you seriously telling me that you think my husband needs to be fired; do you even realize what you are saying. This time even though no one insinuated that Trey needed to be fire; it stung more because it was said right in front of my kids. My heart just broke, because right now the kids think their dad hung the moon and it would devastate them to hear someone say that he was not a good coach.
I know that most people don't realize that there are times during football season when the coaches see their players more than they see their own children (especially when they are as young as ours and have early bed times). I figured out long ago that people don't always think before they speak
when dealing with coaching. I know that everyone thinks they can do a
better job the the coaches on the field. I understand that this is unfortunately part of the territory. But I didn't realize how bad it would hurt to hear it said right in front of my children. Thankfully my kids are still to young to understand what was being said, but that won't always be the case. I know that one day soon my kids will hear some one bash their dad and they will know what is being said, and I will have to deal with the hurt that they feel (or smart remark that they pop off back). I guess this will be another way that I can use athletics to teach life skills; not everyone is nice and sometimes you just have to deal with really rude people. I hope that I am able to teach them to smile and treat others the way Jesus would want, even when they are being disrespectful to you.
Park City Utah
4 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment