Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Meet Elaina

1st picture taken with Trey's phone bc we left the camera at home
Elaina Kay was born at 6:02 Sunday April 3.  My water broke at 4:40 am and she was born at 6:02 am.  Yes you are reading that correctly; was delivered an hour and twenty minutes after my water broke.  Which means that there was no time for any meds,  again you are seeing that correct NO MEDS!!  Everything went really really fast.  Which means that I was not in pain for long which is always a good thing. 
Seeing Elaina for the 1st time

I was trying to compose this post in the hospital but did not get around to it.  I told Trey to select the pictures for me to use b/c that always takes me the longest.  I thought I would do it Monday night when I woke up during the night like I did on Sunday, but I didn't wake up other than to roll over.  So I figured that I really needed to sleep.

I guess the best place to start would be Friday night.  Trey, being the trickster that he is, decided to post on Facebook that we were headed to the hospital to have the baby.  Well of course people started wishing us luck and saying that they would be praying for us.  So I had to put an end to the April Fool's joke.  I had went to work Friday and had a lot of cramps through out the day, but nothing regular or consistent.  Once I got home and changed into my pjs and went to bed I had no more pain, so i thought that the waist band on my pants was just to tight.  I didn't think anything else about it.

On Saturday I posted about getting Josiah's bed switched over to a twin bed.  I didn't have any pain at all.  I figured that I might have Elaina that day just b/c Trey wanted an April Fool's Day baby, and this would be a way that God might show his sense of humor.  That evening before we went to bed Trey decided that we needed to take pictures of my belly.  It is a good thing that we did b/c we did not have time to get any before we left the house to go to the hospital.  We were laughing that Trey didn't get what he wanted this time.  (when Josiah was born he told me that he was tired of waiting on him to be born and was ready for him to be here.  Not 6 hours later Josiah was born and he got his wish).  We had commented that my belly did look a little lower and that the dr had said that it could be any day.  My feet were super swollen and I was really tired so I went to bed shortly after we put Josiah to bed.  For some reason Trey came to bed too; he usually stays up a lot latter on the weekends.  He said that he was just tired form all the yard work he had done that day.
These get posted b/c I let Trey select the birth pictures.


It is a good thing that he did come to bed early b/c I woke him up at 4:40 saying I think that my water had broke.  Of course I did not have anything ready so I start trying to find some clothes to wear and a spare outfit.  I knew that I could send Trey or my parents to get anything that we forgot.  We were taking our time and getting clothes for Josiah when all of a sudden a contraction hit.  We had to kick things in high gear then.  We were having trouble reaching the people that we were going to take Josiah too.  We had just decided to take him with us to the hospital until we could get some one to come get him when they called us back.  We set up a place to met them and were on our way.  It seemed to take FOREVER to met up with them, but I think that was because I was having contractions that were less than 4 minutes apart.

Once we got Josiah set we flew as fast as possible to the hospital.  Trey got to drive fast and use his emergency flashers this time.  I called my mom at 5:15 to tell her that we had dropped Josiah off and were almost at the hospital.  We got to the ER and had the slowest check in possible.  Well at least until the guy looked at me and asked if I needed anything and I told him "Yea I need to get up stairs before I had the baby here on this table."  I now know what they mean when someone is speechless, because his mouth dropped open but he could speak.  He finally managed to tell us to go.

Mommy, Daddy & baby
Once we got up there I got into the gown and into the bed just in time to make everybody go crazy.  They checked me and were determine to find certain things, before they finally realized that I was a lot further along than they thought.  I don't really know what all the commotion looked liked b/c I kept my eyes closed trying to ignore the pain and focusing on not being rude bc I was in pain.  To me it sounded like what I imagine that an ant colony would sound like.  It seemed like a lot of organized chaos.  I am sure that everyone had a job and knew what they were doing but I sounded crazy.  I think they brought in every available nurse to help out.  I know that one of the nurses was standing over to the side dressed to catch the baby just in case.

That was not to far fetched, because I was pushing long before the dr got there.  I couldn't help it; I just had to.  I figured out that it doesn't really make it feel better to breath like they tell you to; it just makes it were you can't push and that is way they tell you that.  Thankfully the dr made it there in time.  He walks in and gets his gloves, gown, and face sheild as he is telling them to break the bed down.  He steps up and tells me that I need to start pushing when I feel a contraction.  No problem I was actually already doing that.  Oh yeah just before this they get my IV in and have Trey sign the consent forms (both of which are usually done long before this point). 

1st family of 4 pic.  This was as close as Josiah would get.
It was way past nap time and he had been up since 4:40
There was no need for the dr to tell me that I would not be able to get any medicine; I already knew that we were WAY past that point.  I think that the nurse told me that they would be able to give me somthing as soon as the baby was born.  Not really what I wanted to hear at that point, but oh well thats the way it was.  I think that the dr had been there about 10-15 before Elaina was born.  The 1st thing he asked was how big was Josiah and we told him 8lbs 6oz.  He said I think that she is right there with him.

My blond hair baby.
They checked her out and said that everything was perfect.  Then they laid her on the scales and she was 8 lbs 9 oz  and 22 inches long.  The dr told me that I joined a a very elite group of women that have given birth to an 8 plus pound baby with out any meds.  Not a club that would have choosen to join if it were left up to me.  Although I must admit that it was not as bad as I would have thought it would have been.
Snuggling with daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment