Thursday, May 23, 2013

Meet Emmett

Emmett made his way into the world Monday, May 13th.  He birth was much different than my other 2.  You can read about those here and here

I went to my check up Monday morning hoping that we would have a baby that day.  Trey and I were so nervous, well anxious might be a better word.  I had dropped the kids off at a friends and they were happy to play with their friends while mommy went to the dr.

My appointment was at 9:45 so I made sure that I picked up breakfast after I dropped the kids off and went back to the house to meet Trey. He had practice that morning at 6 so he was coming home to take me to the dr as soon as they got off the field.  We ate our breakfast and gathered my bag and off we went to the dr.  We were laughing that we were more anxious with #3 than we had been with the 1st two.  My previous appoinment (a week before) the dr had basicly told me it could be any day.  I was 90% and 4cm; so that is partially the reason for us being anxious.

Well, the doctor seemed a little shocked that I was back for this appointment.  He listened to the heartbeat and measured my belly and made a comment that if I was 39 weeks he would send me down to have the baby now.  Our hearts sank, 2 more weeks of this it could be any minute or 2 more weeks was not what we wanted to hear.  After he checked me he said that I was 90% and 4.5 cm.  The the what to do discussion began.  He tried to call the dr on call for delivery and talk to him, but he didn't answer his phone.  He said that the baby would be born today or tomorrow; you could tell that he knew it was time based on his experience as a dr, but I wasn't presenting by the book like the hospital likes.  He decided to send me down to the hospital er to hook me up to a monitor and see what the contractions were doing.  That also would give him time to talk to the on call dr.

So we went down to the er to get get hooked up to the monitor.  The contractions were pretty regular, but were not really painful.  The only thing that was painful was laying in the bed for an hour being still, bc when I moved the monitor would lose the heartbeat.   The plan was after an hour they would come recheck me and we would go from there.

Well after the hour there was really no progression, but the dr said that we could go home and try to do the things to induce labor, go for a walk etc.; or we could go ahead and be admitted and they would break my water, but if I didn't progress that they may have to use pitocin.  We decided that with my history of fast deliveries  it would be better to stay.  So the dr admitted us and baby was on the way.
I guess it was around noon when we got admitted and settled into the room.  Then we had more waiting and questions to answer.  It was really neat to find out that my nurse had went to SAU and worked at the hospital in Magnolia for a while.  After we got into the room and knew that we were going to have a baby today, Trey and I both relaxed. 



We laughed and posted on Facebook, around 2:00, that it was alot different this time waiting on baby than it was waiting on the dr the previous to times.  Everything was a lot calmer and there was no pain.  Throughout the whole process I really didn't have any pain.  I was uncomfortable from staying in one position for so long, but nothing was ever painful.  The contractions were getting a lot closer and a little stronger as time went by, but were not painful.  

Around 3:15 or so, I got an epidural.  Trey was impressed with the size of the needle they used for the epidural.  I did get a little sick from it as my blood pressure and heart rate dropped.  By the time I realized I felt sick to my stomach and called the nurse try said that I looked really pale.  By the time the nurses got in there I was feeling a little better but babies heart rate had dropped.  They gave me oxygen and rolled me on my side and everything returned to normal and we had no more issues. 



They came back in around 3:30 and checked me again and I was at 7cm and decided to go ahead and break my water.  The dr came in around 3:45 and broke my water.  I think at this point I was laughing at how my feet would flop around if I tried to move them.  So this should tell you by this point I was not only still not in pain, but feeling relaxed.  I was excited to find out if we were having a baby boy or girl and knew it wasn't long till he or she would be here.

They checked me again at 4:00 and I was at 9cm and they decided that it was time to get ready.  The doctors (there was a resident working with the dr) and nurses all got ready and told me it was time to push.  They asked if I could feel any pressure or anything when I had a contraction, which I didn't, so they said they would tell me when to push.  


The nurse said that she wanted me to get three good pushes per contraction.  So I would push when they told me to.  Trey said that looking at the monitor that they weren't really waiting on contractions that they just had me pushing the baby out.  I know it was really tired towards the end bc they were not giving me time to catch my breath much less rest between pushes. 



 
At 4:32 our baby was born and Trey quickly told me that it was a boy.  The nurse was laughing that he beat the doctor at saying its a boy.  Emmett James weighed 8 lbs. 7oz and was 21 inches long.





We were blessed with a healthy beautiful little boy.  I am so thankful that God has given us 3 wonderful, healthy, beautiful children.  Josiah and Elaina were both so excited to have a new baby brother.  Josiah was happy that it was a brother and Elaina is always kissing her bubba baby (as she calls him).

 


No comments:

Post a Comment