Sunday, April 25, 2010

Practice Cake #1

And yes there will be a practice cake 2 and maybe 3. Good thing Trey's players are coming over to eat this week. I wish that I took a picture of the fondant covered cake before I tried to start decorating. The white fondant was much easier to get on the cake than I thought it would be. I messed up with the decorations.
But I learned several lessons so that I can improve on the next one.
  1. Never use just red and green on a birthday cake. It looks like a bad Christmas decoration. I used the red and green fondant to save the blue and yellow for the real cake so that I would have more of those colors. I know now that there will be another practice run.
  2. Check the placement of your decorations before using water to make it stick. The fondant leaves a "stain" on the white if you try to move it.
  3. Roll the fondant much much thinner for the decorations. Not only does the thick fondant look bad, but it also taste bad. The thin fondant taste ok, but if there is to much it not so good. The texture is really bad (like play dough) if it is to thick.
  4. Get better cookie cutters. I could only find a star cutter and I used a small glass to cut the circles. Then I got the bright idea to cut the star out of the circle. It looked nice until I tried to pick it up, then it stretched and the star looked funny.
  5. Don't free hand the number 1 and don't over crowed the cake. Less is defiantly more with cake decorating.

My idea for the real party cake is a 3 tiered stacked cake, with the top layer being Josiah's smash cake. I am going to get several different sized circle cookie cutters and decorate it with random circles. I am thinking about getting food coloring markers to write Happy 1st Birthday Josiah on the circles. I am not sure about that because my hand writing is not the greatest. If I don't use the markers I will get a number one topper or candle to put on it. I am really excited about making his cake. My mom always had her best friend make our cakes and we loved them (and so did our friends); maybe one day I will be able to make great cakes like Mrs. Elizabeth did.

1 comment:

  1. Practice makes perfect!! I like the practice cake...you are putting much more time into it than I would..lol...I will probably be ordering our kids' cake! Although I love to bake, I am lazy and my planning isn't too great.

    ReplyDelete