Thursday, August 25, 2011

Train Ride



The best family shot
 Last week a friend told me about a train ride that was geared for children.  The ride was suppose to be a round-trip from Springdale to Fayetteville and take about an hour, but it went from Springdale to Roger and lasted about 2 hours.  I didn't really care where it was going so that was no big deal that it was a change.  I wanted to take Josiah so that he could see/play with other kids and I could see a friend from high school that lives up here that I haven't seen in several years.

Happy to be on the Train

Josiah loved the train ride.  He was not rally interested in the other kids on the train.  I tried to get him away from the window to interact with the kids, but he was glued to the window.  He was just staring at everything that we went past, and most of the time it was trees.  At one point I asked him if he was having fun and he waved his hand at me and said I ride the train.  It was like I was bothering him by asking him that. 

Family photo on train

It was really hot on the train, but he didn't mind.  Elaina did ok with the ride and heat as well.  She fell asleep at one point.  The train was air conditioned but I think it had been over worked this summer and it was taking a break.  When we got back to the station I discovered that it was a nice cool day outside, and I think that it would have been cooler with the windows open instead of the AC. 

Elaina sleeping on the train

We had to stop on the track and wait for a freight train to pass before we could get back to the station.  During that time Josiah did go play with a little boy across the aisle for a few minutes.  They were watching the tractors working out the window.  I think it was a bull dozer but Josiah calls all construction equipment tractors.  He did tell me during this time that he wanted to ride the train some more.
This is how he spent 90% of the ride

When we got back to the station, I could tell that he was really tired.  He was red faced bc of the heat and then the tears began to flow.  He was holding his little finger up and using his pitiful voice asking for one more ride.  He was not very happy that the ride was over.  He was so tired that I had a hard time keeping him awake the 5 minutes it took us to get back to the house. 
So So Sleepy

After we got back to the house and had lunch he took a long nap.  I was shock that the train ride seemed to wear him out more than playing does. 

1 comment:

  1. YAY for you!!! Letting Josiah experience the train ride his way instead of "encouraging him strongly" to play with the other kids. That's a great parenting skill!!!! My kids are 17, 14 and 7 -- sometimes I still want them to experience things the way I think they should. UGH!

    GO MOMMY!!!!

    ReplyDelete