When Josiah had his surgery we had to be at the hospital at 5 am. I was worried about having to wake Josiah up, but he was fine when we woke him up. I was afraid that he would ask for something to eat, but he didn't.
We had to wait for a little while in the waiting room, but both he and Emmett did really well. When they called him back to surgery prep, Trey was going with him and I was staying in the lobby because they told us only one could go back. Well Josiah got really upset about that so they let me go back to.
We got him into his gown and hat to get ready for the prep that they had to do. He actually liked the hat. The nurses checked his muscles (blood pressure) and put stickers on his back (heart monitor). The thought that was cool, he didn't really like the pulse oxygen thing wrapped around his finger. He was ok with it when the red light was on when they were checking it, bit once the light went off he wanted it to come off.
He was so afraid that he was going to get a shot, that he would ask what's that every time the nurses would go to do something. They kept reassuring him that he would get a shot. The anesthesiologist (who was WONDERFUL) brought him in a mask that he had rubbed chap stick in and ask Josiah to smell it. He told him to practice breathing in it because he was going to need him to blow up a balloon with it in a few minutes.
I had told him that daddy and I wouldn't be able to go back to surgery with him, and he had gotten a little upset about that. When it was time for him to go back to surgery, we were prepared for a melt down. The anesthesiologist came and asked him if he was ready to go blow up that balloon and Josiah said yes. The guy said come on I'll carry you and Josiah looked at him like he was crazy and said I can walk. So he told him come on then and showed Josiah what button to push to make the door open and told him that they had to be fast before the door closed. Josiah took off through the door, Skylander underware showing for all the world to see, and never looked back. I was so proud of him for being so brave and grown up.
It wasn't long, maybe 20 minutes, till we were called back to meet with the dr after he was done. Of course Emmett had an exploding diaper while we were waiting on the dr and I had to leave to go change him. The dr came in while I was gone and said that everything went great and that we would go to him soon.
When they called us back to Josiah, he was alert and looking at his bandaid where his IV was. I got him dressed to go home and Trey went and got the van. The nurse asked Josiah if he wanted something to drink and he said probably. So she gave him a Sprite and asked if he wanted some crackers and again he answered probably.
After we left the hospital we took him to Walmart to pick out a new Skylander, so that he and Trey could play video games all day. He was not suppose to walk so we put him in a buggie and he was good. Once we got home he was great, in fact we had to keep getting on to him about kicking his feet and trying to shove them between the couch cushions. I think it was harder on Trey and I having to get up so early than it was for Josiah. We both struggled staying awake, and we had to make Josiah take a nap after lunch.
We took him back the next morning to get the bandages off and he was good to walk. It did not slow him up one bit. He was bouncing all over the place.We laugh and say that they clipped his volume switch because he came out of surgery talking much louder. We are still having to remind him not to yell inside.
He didn't know that he had a stitch in each toe till a couple of days before he was to go get them removed. I kept telling him that they were going to tickle his toes to get the stitches out. Trey said that he did really well until they started pulling the stitch. Then he got a little upset, but who wouldn't. The first thing he told me when he got home from getting his stitches out was he had scissors momma. I guess he was mad that I told him that they were going to tickle his toes, but I didn't want him to freak out about it.
I am really proud of how grown up he acted with the whole surgery. My little boy is growing up and making his momma proud.
Park City Utah
4 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment