Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Color Wheel

Last week Josiah wanted to paint and I decided that it would be fun for him to see how colors mixed to make other colors.  I got a pan lid and traced a circle on a piece of card stock and divided it into 6 sections.  I wrote red, blue, and yellow in 3 of the sections leaving a space between each one.

 I then put those colors of paint in their own section and instructed him to paint the 3 sections that the color was in or touched.  I gave him a new brush for each color and sat back and watched and listened to the excitement that occurred each time he made a new color. 

I had him tell me what each new color was and what 2 colors mixed together to make it.  Then after it dried we reviewed all the colors and which ones mixed to make the new colors.  I then wrote new colors on the wheel.

He was so proud of his art that he told me to hide it so he could surprise daddy.  He decided that Trey needed to take it and put it up on his desk.  He was so excited to show his daddy when he got home from work.  Trey was barely inside the door before Josiah was going and getting the paintings and shoving them in his face.

Of course Elaina got her own color wheel too.  She didn't really mix the colors like she was "suppose" to but she still had fun and created her own masterpiece.

After the color wheels, Josiah got the chance to mix a bunch of paint colors and Elaina got to use her Crayola beginnings paint.  That is her favorite paint; I think it is because she likes to play with the little characters and take them in and out of the package 100 times.   


No comments:

Post a Comment